Saturday, August 21, 2010

I'm Back


Spending time in a natural environment is very important to me. I'm one of those people who needs to re connect with nature in order to feel recharged and refreshed. I recently returned from a trip with my family to the Sierras, an area called Mineral King Canyon. We hiked and star gazed, laughed and sang and enjoyed a campfire. And now I'm excited to be back and delighted that school is just around the corner.

Natural science is a key part of my kindergarten curriculum. I believe that young children have a fascination for the natural world that motivates them to ponder, hypothesize, and discuss. We begin the year learning about the ocean habitat and the animals that inhabit it. We go on field trips, read books, draw pictures and begin to write to share our ideas and questions about creatures of the sea. We will do research and share our discoveries with our classmates. As the year goes on, we will explore local habitats, earth science and weather, rainforest and polar habitats, and space. I love these branches of science and I find most young children do too.

Next weekend is our get together. I'm going to send out an evite to help me coordinate food and so on. Remember, the picnic will be your first opportunity to volunteer for class jobs and sign up for participation. Bring your calendars!

I really appreciate all the emails I have received from you, especially those that have helped me to begin to know your child. This week, I will email you each a questionnaire that will ask you to share some basic information about your child's life and interests. The collaboration begins!

See you soon,

Ms Morgan

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Miss Morgan,
It was so nice to meet you today. Your energy and love for teaching and the school was evident in our brief conversation and by reading your wonderful blog. I am looking forward to working with you this year!
Jessica

Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.