Sunday, September 12, 2010

Our First Week

I think the first week of school went exceptionally well. The children are adjusting quickly to our class routines, forming friendships and exploring the classroom. They seemed to especially enjoy “Book Buddies.” We will be reading with our fifth grade book buddies every Thursday. Your child is welcome to bring a special book to school to have their buddy read to them on that day. Sometimes the fifth graders will bring a book to share and that’s fun too.

I hope you all have checked out the sign up for our class parent meeting on Thursday at 6pm. I am inviting you to bring a snack or beverage to share if you like. This is a meeting for parents so if you need childcare, please sign up on the parent bulletin board. Childcare will be offered in Jacob’s classroom next door.

Our agenda for the meeting will cover class curriculum, field trips, more about volunteering, school events, and any thing else you would like to have me talk about. One important item will be how you can help your child thrive in kindergarten.

On Friday we had ‘Found Art’ as our art center activity. The children use tape and scissors to assemble creations from a box of recycled items. I like to offer this activity every Friday and I need your help by donating the recycled things for the children to use. Suggested items include:

Ribbon

Small boxes

Cardboard tubes

Small packing Styrofoam shapes

Wrapping paper

Buttons

Small toys

Odd plastic bits

Feathers

Plastic or paper flowers

Etc – You get the idea. The found art box is on the parent work counter near the cubbies.

Over the next two weeks I am planning to do individual assessments of academic skills with each of the children. This means I will need to have periods of time, preferably in the morning when I can focus on one child at a time. The data I gather will be especially helpful during our goal setting meetings in the first week of October.

Thank you all for your support this week. You are a very conscientious group of parents and I appreciate it. Here’s to continuing adventures in learning.

Sincerely,

Ms Morgan

No comments: